With the encouragement and guidance of Bishop John Lee, the Council of Religious (COR) was formed in August 1997 in the diocese. The elected office bearers were: Sr Aquinas Voon fsic (chairperson), Br Justin Mobilik fsc (vice chairperson), Sr Agnes Wong fsp (secretary), Sr Angeline Lau rgs (treasurer), Sr Grace Deosing fsic (member), and Sr Cecilia Liew fsic (member).
Nature and Purpose of Existence (DOPP p 34)
1. The Council is a consultative and coordinating body.
2. To promote inter-congregational dialogue among religious in view of deepening their commitment and fostering collaboration in the service of the Local Church.
3. To assist the archbishop in making significant decisions in achieving more fully the vision and mission of the archdiocese.
1. The archbishop
2. The Superior General of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception and two other members
3. The Local Superiors (or their delegates) of the other congregations working in the archdiocese
4. An Episcopal Vicar for Religious (No 54 – Directives for the Mutual Relation between Bishops and Religious in the Church)
5. The office bearers – chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary cum treasurer – will be elected by and from the Council members for a term of three years and are eligible for re-election for another term.
Functions and Responsibilities
1. Planning: To promote unity and effective collaboration among religious congregations
2. Leading: To foster life-giving relationships and sincere openness and trust that enhances mutual respect, responsibility, and accountability between the religious congregations and with the laity, clergy, and the archbishop.
3. Organising: To facilitate the widest possible participation of the members of the different religious congregations in the spiritual and pastoral needs of the archdiocese while respecting their distinctive charisms.
4. Controlling: To make periodic formative and summative evaluations of decisions made and initiatives taken as a collaborative body.
To the archbishop and the major superiors of the respective religious congregations.
Since 2015, there are four women religious institutes and three men religious institutes serving in the archdiocese: Order of Discalced Carmelite Nuns (OCD), Daughters of St Paul (FSP), Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (FSIC), and Religious of the Good Shepherd (RGS); Brothers of St Gabriel (SG), Brothers of the Christian School or La Salle Brothers (FSC), and the Marist Brothers (FMS).
Episcopal Vicar for Religious: Msgr Primus Jouil
Chairperson: Br Thomas Paul SG
Vice Chairperson: Fr Andrew Kim SST
Secretary: Sr Magdalene Chong FSP
Treasurer: Sr Joan Michael FSIC
Members: Sr Frances Mani FSIC, Sr Sandra Masilang RGS, Br Demosthenes Calabria FMS.